Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Pristi Zastavka..PRAHA

07-april-2009

10:10 PRAGUE


**WARNING: LOOOONG POST. But worth it because hi, Prague is awesome.**


The conclusions I have come to after staying in Prague these past few days are more than one: --

1. Facebook in Czech blows my mind
2. The food here is fantastical (and tastes like home for me..)

3. Prague has way too many spiders.


Getting to the hotel from was quite the adventure since I was by myself (meeting my sister & mom there..) and it involved some sort of combination of buses & trams of sorts. Also the book that my friend from Azerbaijan, Sulik, gave me was out of date and had the wrong tram lines on it. Fun! Nevertheless, I made it when I decided to walk from some stop to my hotel and accidentally caught eye of the tram I needed, ran onto it, and somehow managed to stay on without paying for it. ;)


After napping, the three of us went to a café near our hotel and got lunch. (*Note:* Prague's food is wonderful because it is not soaked in oil like a lot of places, so for those of you who are trying to stay healthy, Prague makes it easy.)

Then we went for a walk along the river and got all the way to the
Karluv Most (Charles Bridge). I suggest going there early in the morning or later in the evening because there were a LOT of tourists. Nonetheless, it was wonderfully full of street musicians, statues and little stands selling pictures and random things.



The next day we went to
Prazky Hrad (Prague Castle) and literally spend a good six (yes, count them) hours there. It was a nice castle and we saw the changing of the guards. We saw the St. Vitus Cathedral, which was huge and gothic. (Much like everything else in Europe, but I can never get enough of the ridiculously beautiful architecture.) We also stumbled upon a little street that used to house soldiers but is now full of little shops for tourists.


After that we went to have dinner and found this place called Cherny Kohout. Everyone, I repeat, EVERYONE who goes to Prague must go to this place. The food was absolutely INCREDIBLE. It's this family run restaurant and we fell in love with it so much that we came back the second night we were there too. The first night we had duck and pike perch and then mandarin sorbet and chocolate souffle for dessert. The second night we had lamb and carb. Then we had Belgian chocolate and green apple sorbet for dessert. It was the best food I ate during my entire time in Europe. Here is their website.

On Sunday we went to Josefov, the Jewish neighborhood, and for a while a lot of the streets were closed off because Obama came to Prague. (Woohoo!) After he finished his lunch and everything opened up again, we went to a bunch of synagogues but my favorite was the Spanish one because it was the prettiest. There was so much mudéjar and Muslim architecture that it almost didn't even look like a synagogue, but it was and it was beautiful. Then we walked around some more and saw Pre-Easter celebrations and saw the Astronomical Clock, which was pretty cool. (That's me standing in front of a statue of Kafka with the Spanish Synagogue on your right).


Overall, I loved it. Prague is small, quaint, and perfect for a 3-day weekend.


On to Vienna!
-LittleOne

No comments: